Friday, June 27, 2008

Yosemite National Park

Yosemite~

Wednesday June 25, 2008~ Last night I stayed in the Sierra National Forest on the south west side of Yosemite in a very remote spot. Tonight I am in the Inyo National Forest on the east side of Yosemite. It’s not as remote; I’m right by a road. I can hear, but not see the traffic. No one can see me. It’s nice in a way. The campgrounds in the park are very crowded. There were a few tonight that did have spaces available but I opted for the free space here in the national forest. I’m lonely again though, so tomorrow I’m going to stay at a campground in the park just so I can have some company!

My first day in Yosemite I spent rushing to the volunteer office and passing by all the sights so that I could get there before someone left at 1:30 so that I could fill out an application to volunteer in the park. Good grief! I got there at 1:20 but couldn’t figure out where to park to get to the building. I called again to say: “I’m here.” She told me that I didn’t have to come in and fill out an application, I could just show up at the visitor center on Friday to work with a crew and fill it out then. An application to volunteer?? I’m not sure I really want to go back to the craziness of the visitor center at this point!

After my rush to the volunteer office I spent some time driving around the park and seeing what I had rushed by on my way in. I did a little walking around but no hiking. It’s beautiful here, but very smoky from the fires in northern California. Today I did a short hike ~ 2 ½ miles to May Lake. It was gorgeous of course! And it was very quiet there, away from the crowds. I found a nice rock to lay out in the sun on beside the lake. There was a hike beyond the lake that went up to Hoffman Peak, but I didn’t feel up to it. I don’t know why but I am incredibly tired. I’m sleeping well. Maybe I’m readjusting to high altitude again. Hopefully I’ll feel more energetic tomorrow. I’m going to sleep early and plan to get up early to hike to Cathedral Lake. It’s very popular so I want to hike before the crowds set out. Maybe I’ll make it up there for the sunrise : )

Thursday~ I did go early, but not in time for the sunrise. There were lots of cars parked on the side of the road so I expected to see some people up at the lake, but there wasn’t a soul there. Lots of mosquitoes though, good grief! It would have been nice to sit for a while and just enjoy the lake, but the mosquitoes were horrendous! So it was a three and a half mile hike to the lake only to turn right around and go back down. I had on long sleeves and they were biting me through my shirt. Thankfully I had bought a netted hat when I was at the REI store in Austin and that kept them off my face and neck. Every night I hurry to fix my dinner then sit in my car and read (or type) and once it’s dark I get in my tent to get away from the mosquitoes. I think I’m done with Yosemite! I’ll come back again when it’s not mosquito season. Also, I think it’s the smoke in the park that’s making me not feel well. Today my eyes are burning as well. I am in Stanislaus National Forest tonight. I may hike down by the Hetch Hetchy reservoir in the morning and then head out. I’ll see how I feel.

No comments: