Friday, June 13, 2008

Ouray to Cortez

The wine and food event in Ouray didn’t impress me; it was very confusing actually! So, I went to a local restaurant and got a pizza and a beer. I talked to some local guys who highly recommended going through Telluride so I decided after dinner to ride up to Red Mountain Pass just to see it since I wouldn’t be traveling out of town that way. I drove all the way over to Silverton, which is a tiny town. It’s probably busy during ski season, but this night it was very quiet. The drive over was beautiful. These mountains are so amazing and I just can’t capture them in photos! Everywhere I go there are 360 degree views that are incredible!

Thursday morning I was up early and hiking on a trail to some old mines. The trail for much of the way is carved out of the cliff side! When my kids see the pictures they won’t believe I actually hiked on such a trail! And, Kurt who hikes with me a lot and knows how clumsy I can be won’t believe that I didn’t trip and fall off the mountain! I think part of this trip is about overcoming fears. The hike was awesome. I was only going to go the first mine, which was 2.4 miles up the trail. But, I was enjoying the hike so much I kept going! I stopped to peek into a cave and take a picture and when I turned around there was a man. I was a bit startled because there was no one else on the trail and it was so quiet. His name was Rick, and he was a local. We walked on together and I was glad to have him along. The further up the trail we traveled the more snow there was. We had to go off the trail several times and I would have been lost alone. So, with my own personal guide I made it to the second mine. I have never seen anything more beautiful then the mountains in this area! The pictures just don’t fully capture it. They really don’t capture how steep the drop off from the trail is either.

On the way down the mountain we met up with a trail crew. They had been out the day before as well. They were doing side hill work, which was badly needed! There is so much loose gravel and it just slides down the mountain obliterating the trail. Anyway, I ended up hiking something over 8 miles. I was starving by the time I got back to my car and pigged out on my leftover pizza! Then I went back into town to take another $2 shower! From there I headed out to Telluride.

Telluride was beautiful as well, but fancier. The houses there are in the millions! I didn’t like it as well as Ouray. I just had a quick walk around and a gondola ride then I headed out. I spent the night near a reservoir in Dolores CO. I am now in Cortez. I’m going to the public gym to workout and then heading over to see Mesa Verde. Lots of people have told me that is something I just have to see.

No comments: