Thursday, June 5, 2008

Grand Lake/ Rocky Mt. Nat. Park

June 5, 2008 I am in Denver.

After a morning walk through an old mine and up to a bat cave at Valley View Hot Springs I hit the road again. Driving north through the mountains was awesome. When I got to Beuna Vista I looked into going on a raft trip but decided that it was too cold. I’d like to do that at some point on this journey though. Later I was having a sandwich in Beuna Vista and talking to a woman there who said the river was higher than it’s ever been. The Arkansas River that is. She said it was dangerous to raft it right now. So, maybe I’ll do that in July or August when it’s really hot and not so high! I drove through Leadville. I went by Twin Lakes and Turquoise Lake. I saw the sign for Half Moon campsite where Patrick, Uli, Julie and I stayed two years ago when we hiked Mt. Elbert. I couldn’t see Mt. Elbert though because it was shrouded in clouds. It was probably snowing on the mountain.

I drove all the way to Grand Lake and Rocky Mountain National Park. I was going to get a backcountry permit so that I wouldn’t have to pay $20 to stay in a campground within the park, but the backcountry permit was $20 also. Bummer! I turned around and went back to the visitor center and then to the trailhead where I was planning on hiking the next day. I figured I’d go back and camp in the Arapaho Wilderness just down the road for $10. But, then I met a hiker at the trailhead and asked him where I could pitch a tent for the night. He said I could pitch my tent in his yard or if I wanted a real roof over my head I could sleep in his guest room. Ok, it’s worse than picking up a hitchhiker, but I took him up on his offer. He had good energy! His name was Greg and he’s Australian and a really great guy. He treated me to a great dinner and great conversation. I LOVE meeting new people! Did I already say that?

It was raining in the morning so I was especially glad to have a real roof over my head. I headed out early to the trailhead and went for a short walk to Adam’s Falls and then a little further to a marshy area hoping to see some moose. No moose though, just three mallard ducks. It was raining lightly, not exactly my kind of hiking weather so I turned around. I figured I’d drive around the park over to Estes Park on the other side, 48 miles away and closer to Denver and hike over there if the weather was better. But 16 miles into the park the road was closed because of snow. And, it was snowing like crazy! I had to turn around at Milner Pass ~ the Continental Divide. It was a beautiful drive though. I saw lots of elk and a coyote.

Then I drove to Denver. The weather didn’t get much better; rain rather than snow, but not good hiking weather so I just did some errands and came to Gerda’s house. That’s where I am now. I got to take a shower. I love showers. Did I already say that? Not only a shower, but, a shower without my flip flops on! We’re going to grill salmon and asparagus for dinner and drink some good Virginia wine : )

No comments: