Saturday, July 12, 2008

Coeur d' Alene Idaho

Friday July 12, 2008

The Doubletree was great! There’s nothing like a shower without flip flops and a workout in a hotel gym! After spending the night in Seattle, Kurt and I drove to Mount Rainier National Park. Mount Rainier is awesome. She stands out above everything in the area. Unlike the 14,000 foot mountains in Colorado that are surrounded by other high peaks, Mt. Rainier is a volcano standing out all by herself. We did a five mile hike near the mountain and then set up camp in White River Campground, a campground within the park. It was really nice beside a little creek. We fixed a nice dinner of pasta and pesto and a can of chicken along with a $5 bottle of chardonnay~ a gourmet camping meal : )

This morning we got up early and drove around to see the rest of the park and Mt. Rainier from the other side. Then we decided to head northeast to Coeur d’ Alene Idaho. When I camped in Great Basin National Park I met a state trooper from Coeur d’ Alene who was camped next to me. He told me all about the town and what a wonderful place it is to live. I vowed then to see it myself. It really is a cool little town. We are staying at a Hampton Inn and went out for dinner at a place called Moon Time. Nice place : ) Tomorrow we are going to go to Sandpoint which is about 50 miles north of here and perhaps do a little hiking. Then we’ll be off to Calgary. We may camp in Sandpoint, but I’m not sure at this point; it seems that Kurt is not really in camping mode. I kinda like this hotel thing too myself : )

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to my neck of the woods! I'm in Pullman, WA now waiting for school to start this fall. If you have time, Hwy 12 from Lewiston to Missoula is one of my favorite area's. Check out the Lochsa Lodge...

Hiker Mel said...

Dan D? or Dan S? I'm in Calgary right now, but I'm going to explore a little more of Idaho before I head back to VA. I really liked it there!