Saturday, August 2, 2008

Idaho Again

August 2, 2008

Coeur d’Alene, Idaho. I love it here! Driving through northwest Montana and the panhandle of Idaho, I think that I am in heaven!! When I left Whitefish I drove to Kalispell where I bought a new battery for my car; the old one was definitely done. I then drove to the town of Libby where there was a gym to work out in for $5 so I got a workout and a shower before heading out to my next camp spot. Libby was great; I could have camped in town for $5, but chose to drive out to Libby Dam and camp right on the Kootenai River in an Army Corp of Engineers free campsite. It was beautiful and very quiet. In the morning I did a couple of short hikes and took some cool pictures then continued driving into Idaho. I drove around a bit just exploring and the more I saw the more I liked. This is definitely a place I could live. Beautiful mountains, temperate weather~ it snows here in the winter instead of rains like in Virginia! There’s cross country skiing, and lots of hiking and snowshoeing. Heaven on earth!

Tomorrow after taking advantage of the hotel workout room, I’m heading east to Missoula, MT where I’m going to hook up with a PATC friend (Dan Erwin) to hike. I last saw Dan in January 2007 right before he went to Iraq. He and his wife now live in Pullman, WA where Dan is working on his PhD.

My time is running out and I can’t imagine living in the real world again!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Melanie! You are up at the Lochsa Lodge with Dan and Zac right now and I'm jealous! I wish I could have come too. I'm glad you are loving it here in North Idaho. Now you can see why we tried so hard to get back here. It is truly paradise. Enjoy your stay here out west, hopefully you are able to come back out again and I can meet you then.

Take care and drive safe,
Denise

Hiker Mel said...

Hi Denise~
The Lochsa Lodge was wonderful! Idaho is wonderful!! We had a nice little hike this morning. Zac is such a good kid! See you next time...
Melanie~

..Ang.. said...

i think you were in my dream last night. we were sitting by a campfire. and i hope we someday cross paths again.

:)

Hiker Mel said...

I hope so too Angie! The dream is a good sign : )

Unknown said...

I've looked at your blog and hope that I contributed in some small way to your successful journey.

Hold on to your special memories
Brad