Sunday, May 25, 2008

Texas

Texas

May 23rd I drove into the big state of Texas. And a BIG state it is! The map is unmanageable in the car! It’s Memorial weekend so there are no campsites available at the state parks : ( I slept in my car at a truck stop. That was ok, but I don’t really sleep well like that. It makes me wish that I had looked harder for a little station wagon. Oh well. I could have showered at the truck stop too, but the price was $10 and I was too cheap to pay that! Plus I had only been driving all day, not hiking. So I cleaned up in the bathroom and made do. I drove into Dallas and visited with the owner of the store that carries Savvy Rest mattresses. That was a short and fun visit. Then I drove to Abilene to visit with Margaret and Milton Dunn who were friends of my parents when we lived in Long Branch NJ. That too was a fun visit. They shared some funny stories from their time there with my parents. I met their twin daughters, Jennifer and Amanda as well as their husbands, Jimmy and …. I can’t remember his name! I would have stayed at Abilene State Park but again no campsites available. So I drove to Inks Lake State Park near Austin. No vacancies; Yikes! I arrived after closing so there was no attendant. I drove around and found that there were lots of empty spots so I inquired of a camper what the deal was with that. He didn’t know but said that he got chased out of a spot because it was reserved. He invited me to pitch my tent with his group. Thank you very much! It was noisy, but I had a nice spot right on the lake. I slept quite well and then at 5:00 am woke up and went for a walk. There were at least 20 empty campsites in the park. If someone had been around when I left I would have complained, but I left at 7:00 and they didn’t open till 8:00. Too bad! Today, Sunday May 25th I am going to visit with some friends. Fay and Lee used to be neighbors of Daddy and Debby. Fay and I used to take a yoga class together with Kathleen who I mentioned in an earlier post. After this visit I’m off to Big Bend!

No comments: