Friday, May 23, 2008

Buffalo National River

Buffalo National River

I camped last night (Wednesday) next to the Buffalo National River in Arkansas. I hiked a total of 12 miles today in the area. It’s truly amazing with the limestone everywhere. There are sheer rock walls along the river and lots of little caves in the river and creek areas. I got chased by a hen turkey with about a hundred (it seemed like that many!) chicks. And NO, I did NOT get a picture of that!! She was scary coming at me with her wings spread wide! I did finally get past her. Her brood was scattered everywhere in the woods. The ticks in the area are abundant. I’ve never seen so many. I tucked my pants into my socks and stopped to brush off about 10-15 ticks every 10 minutes or so.

Wednesday night~ Camped at Dardanelle State Park near Russellville AR. Beautiful lake and great showers! It was nice to get in a shower after hiking all day. It stormed around 9:00 pm so I got into my tent. It was awesome! I stayed dry and cozy : ) The next morning I walked around the campground and then back at my campsite I worked out with my weights (yes I brought them with me!) and did a little yoga. I’ll bet I was the only camper there with her own weights to workout with! I was probably the only one doing yoga in her campsite too!

I hope to get a campsite at a state park in Texas tonight, but it’s Memorial weekend so I’m not sure that’s going to happen. I may be sleeping in my car at a rest area. I really want to get a shower in the morning because I’m going to visit a mattress store in Dallas for my friend Michael who owns The Savvy Sleeper and Savvy Rest in Ivy, VA.

No comments: