Texas~
Where was I anyway? Let’s see….. I spent the night with Lee and Fay in Leander TX, just outside of Austin on Sunday night. They have a beauuuutiful home! We had a really nice visit and I got to do my laundry and take a real shower. It’s the little things in life! What’s really amazing living like this is that you realize how much you can live without and you really appreciate the little things, like flush toilets and hot water : ) When I left Lee and Fay Monday morning I went into Austin to the Whole Foods and REI. Austin is a really nice city. I was envious of the early morning bicycle riders. The city has great roads for biking on, nice wide shoulders. It makes me wish that I had my bicycle with me : ( From Austin I headed to Big Bend by way of San Antonio. Never trust a GPS. I should have known better from past experience, but…. I trusted her to get me out of the city. By the time I realized I was heading to San Antonio, it was too late. Oh well; I’ll never know really if it took longer that way or not. It seemed longer anyway! I got to Big Bend with enough daylight to set up my tent and cook my dinner. I camped in the Chisos Basin. It was gorgeous! I went there only because it was the closest campground to the entrance. I’m glad I chose that one though because I found out the next day that the park is nearly deserted this time of year. If I had gone to either of the other campgrounds I would have had them to myself. That’s no fun when you’re traveling alone! In the morning I went for a 5 mile hike (Lost Mine Trail). It was beautiful, as you will see if you take a look at the photos. I met a family up there (dad, daughter and son). They are from Witchita and the dad knows Patrick! It’s such a small world! I thought I would spend 2 or 3 days in Big Bend but I feel like I saw it all after a day. I didn’t do anymore hiking after the morning jaunt because it is hotter than hell there! But, I did drive the entire park. I drove to Hot Springs and wanted to do the short hike to the springs and historical area, but there was a big sign warning of lots of car break ins in that area. Ok, forget that idea. Apparently because the river is so easy to cross, there are lots of Mexicans coming across there and that is how they live on the other side, so it becomes a problem in the park. Well, it was a problem I did not need so I skipped the idea of a hike to the hot springs. I instead drove to the other side of the park where I was able to park and wade in the Rio Grande. For such a grand name the river is really quite small. If it wasn’t for the 200’ or so bank on the Mexican side (where I put my feet in) it would be quite easy to walk across.
I took a short cut out of the park; it was 13 miles of washboard! Yikes!! Once out of the park though I moved right along. I love the Texas speed limits of 70 mph on back roads! Ok, some of the roads were only 60 mph. But those were the ones with loose livestock and cattle guards across the road out in the middle of nowhere! I even saw some javalinas in the road. Sorry, no pic; I couldn’t find my camera fast enough. Sorry too about the pic of the snake in the road; it’s dead. I saw it going 75 mph and turned around to get a pic only to realize it had been run over (not by me).
I spent the night in Guadalupe National Park in northern Texas. I met a guy from Quebec doing the same thing that I’m doing! Only he’s not a hiker. He has two months to travel and he’s going to baseball games. He was so cute too; I wish I could fix him up with my daughter Laurie : ) Oh, the people you meet!! In the morning I hiked Guadalupe Peak. It’s the highest in Texas~ 8749 feet. What a great way to start the day; I was the first up there this morning (Wednesday) and met 4 more people on their way up as I was heading down. Then I visited Carlsbad Caverns. They were really cool, but I’m more of a mountain person. I had to stop though since I was driving right by. I’m now staying at a state park outside of Carlsbad~ Brantley Lake. It’s sooooo nice to find a campground with showers. I haven’t had one since I left Lee and Fay’s! After hiking in Big Bend and then Guadalupe I really felt like I needed one! I’ll go for a walk in the morning and then have another; I might as well get my $14 worth! When I leave here I’m going to head to Santa Fe. I need to get online and update things and pay a bill or two. Not sure what I will do then. It might be nice to just spend some time in a city : ) Chusse~
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment